Instructions for Presenters
These are instructions for the 2022 MPA Conference.
Instructions for Papers (Oral Presentations)
If your paper has been accepted for presentation in an oral session, you will have 15 minutes total to speak. It is wise to limit your presentation to 12-13 minutes and leave 2-3 minutes for questions. [Note: Invited papers have 30 minutes rather than 15.]
Laptops (Windows) with LCD projectors using PowerPoint 2007 will be available in all meeting rooms for MPA sessions. Overhead projectors will not be available.
If you are using PowerPoint, please arrive 5-10 minutes in advance of the session in which your paper is scheduled, and load your presentation on the the laptop provided on the table at the front of the room. This will make the transition from one paper to the next go most smoothly. You may bring a flash drive. The computers do NOT have internet access and do not have additional audio support and thus if you need to play video, you must have it on your flash drive and it is likely best without audio.
Presenters are expected to attend their entire paper session.
Instructions for Posters
Posters are to be mounted on a board whose dimensions are 8′ wide and 4′ high. Posters can be any size as long as they will fit on the poster board. Your poster should be able to be mounted with push pins or tacks onto this space. Poster sessions are typically two hours in length. You should arrive about five minutes ahead of the session, and you should remove your poster when the time period is over. If possible, please bring your own push pins.
Presenters are expected to stay by their posters during the poster sessions so that they can be responsive to attendee’s questions and comments.
Instructions for Moderators
The primary task of moderators is to announce each speaker and to make sure the session runs on time. If you want to volunteer to moderate a session, please contact the MPA Executive Officer. It’s a great way to serve the organization.
- Oral Sessions:
- You should arrive at your assigned room at least 5 – 10 minutes in advance of your session. If the room is clear, proceed to the front table and make sure that the a/v equipment is in working order. There is a telephone in each room and there should be a phone number of the a/v people on the front table by the computer. Individuals with power point MUST load their presentations at the beginning of the session and you should ensure they do so. It will make the transition from one talk to the next run more smoothly if people don’t need to load their presentations between speakers.
- Start the session on time. Introduce each speaker and the title of the paper. Keep the papers on time. You should offer warnings to let people know when they have five minutes and two minutes remaining on their 15-minute time block. Do not permit people to go past their time period, and do not permit questions if the time limit has been reached.
- If there is time at the end of a talk before the next talk begins, please allow the presenter to take questions. DO NOT wait until all speakers are done to allow for questions for the entire session. Each speaker should have their own question time unless they go over their time limit.
- If the speaker does not show, DO NOT start the next presentation until the time indicated in the program. Simply have a break.
- Poster Sessions:
- Poster session moderators should arrive in the poster area approximately 10 minutes in advance of their session. Walk around to see if anyone needs assistance setting up their posters. Extra push pins should be available in the registration area at the back of the posters. Once the posters are set up, and the session is underway, you are free to leave.