Grand Rapids Community College: Assistant Professor, Psychology – Tenure Track Position
GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability; engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies; effectively assess student learning outcomes; demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development and provide service to our students, the college, and our community at large. Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of
departmental work, as well as associated with the School of Arts and Sciences and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communication skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of
– Teach GRCC course offerings in Psychology, primarily General Psychology with the possibility of teaching additional courses in Psychology.
– Support the development and implementation of teaching techniques that employ technology, flexible learning strategies, group interaction, and innovative teaching practices.
– Assist the Department Head in the evaluation and revision of existing courses and programs and the creation of new curriculum.
– Advise students on academic programs and careers related to Psychology.
– Engage in professional development and continuous improvement related to college teaching and the field of Psychology.
– Participate fully as a member of the Psychology Department in activities such as department meetings, curriculum development and revision, assessment, committee membership, textbook selection, and other duties as expected of a tenure-track faculty member and/or as determined by the College.
– Contribute to the development of students, the department, and the community through involvement in departmental and college-wide activities.
– Adhere to the standards and requirements expressed in the Faculty Contract.
– Master’s Degree in Psychology required
– PhD in Psychology preferred
– A minimum of two years full-time teaching experience in Psychology at the college or university level; the equivalent part time, adjunct teaching time, or graduate assistant level teaching will be considered as having met the minimum.
– Successful collegiate teaching experience in Psychology.
– Community college teaching experience preferred.
– Additional experience teaching or ability to teach any of the following: Abnormal Psychology, Child Psychology, Adolescent Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Educational Psychology, Statistics, or Research Methods.
– Working knowledge of current areas of Psychology as demonstrated by coursework, research, or practice.
– Understanding and appreciation of community college mission.
– Experience working with non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
– Ability and willingness to develop/teach online and hybrid classes.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills.
– Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
– An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
– An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
– A commitment to serve the Kent County community.
– Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
– Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
– High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
– Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
– Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
– Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment.
– Classroom environment in an academic setting.
Method of application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on December 2, 2019. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College is committed to a diverse and inclusive work and learning environment. GRCC creates an including learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, height, weight, national origin, disability, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by stated and federal law. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, Mi 49503-3295.